Hannah's Prayer // Jesus hates whiners

12:21 AM


Every other Tuesday, my friend has piano lessons with my older sister-- which means I get to spend time with her older sister and my best friend. I only get to see her at our home-school coop (which is once a week) and when her sister has lessons, so when we do see each other... we talk. A lot. About a lot.

Today's interesting conversation that has been on my mind and heart the whole day was about prayer. We had been discussing the Boy-Crazy-Syndrome that so many of our friends are suffering from, when I said something like, "Why let them dictate your every move when they're just guys? As long as you have Jesus, you'll be good!" Or something along those lines. After quickly agreeing, my friend added that a lot of the time it seems that young Christians don't know how to talk to God, that they don't really see Him like a friend, but like this stone cold powerful person in the sky that will hug you when you're hurt and hit you when you're bad and totally disappear from the universe when all is well.

That's what happens. Instead of seeing Jesus as a Father that yearns for a relationship with us, we seem to always set Him on the shelf to get dusty until we need Him to bandage a wound or strike down our enemy. And you know what that says about our relationship with Him? It means we're "thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned" (John 15:6). Without God constantly in our hearts, we are kindling! WHAT?!

Imagine this. You have a friend, you love your friend. But your friend never spends time with you, never makes an effort to contact you, never does nothing. But you love him or her, and you try to shoot them a text, just to see that horrid "Read" recipients and no response bubble thingy. You reason, Maybe they're just busy?

But then you see him or her at Chick-fi-la. With four friends. They're all seated at one of the booths on the left, laughing, talking, and having a great time. And all you want to do is steal their waffle fries... you're only slightly bitter on the outside, but inwardly you're like a shriveling pancake feeling unwanted, unloved.

That's how God feels. God sees His precious little you, His precious little me, and His precious little Johnny. But all we see are our friends (aka distractions in life [i.e. self-made idols] ) and our wicked, wicked waffle fries (aka wicked wicked waffle fries [i.e. fries, but waffle-y] ). And now He's the shriveling pancake.

The Almighty God, Everlasting Father, the Prince of Peace-- the King of Kings is a shriveling pancake... because of you and me and Johnny?

My mind just cannot. I mean... we know who God is, who Jesus is.... but do we really??? Because if we really know who God is, who He is as a person, as a sovereign Father, than why, pray tell, are we so reckless with our hearts? If we know that God is the greatest Lover of our souls, than why would we place our lives in the hands of anything else? Anything less?

Stupidity, maybe. Stupidity and a good dose of pride. Because we don't like the idea of God being as knowing as He is, because where's the privacy for sin in that. We don't like the idea of God being as loving as He is, because then we feel guilty. We don't like the idea of God being the King, because all we want is to rule our own lives and live a little. Follow our hearts, our feelings.

And perish.

Because that is the final outcome for all those who choose not Christ, but their own pursuits of happiness. Besides. They're just finding themselves, discovering who they are, following their hearts. Fine. I get it. But I won't be taking part in it.

A while back when I was studying different women from the Bible, I was learning about Hannah; at least once a week I find myself rereading her prayer in Samuel chapter 2:

"And Hannah prayed and said,
'My heart exults in the Lord;
my horn is exalted in the Lord.
My mouth derides my enemies,
because I rejoice in your salvation.
There is none holy like the Lord;
for there is none besides you;
there is no rock like our God.
Talk no more so very proudly,
let no arrogance come from your mouth;
for the Lord is a God of knowledge,
and by him actions are weighed.
The bows of the mighty are broken,
...
The Lord kills and brings to life;
...
The Lord makes poor and makes rich;
he brings low and he exalts.
...
For the pillars of the earth are the Lord's,
and on them he has set the world.
He will guard the feet of his faithful ones,
but the wicked shall be  cut off in darkness,
for not by might shall man prevail.'"
...
1 Samuel 2:1-10 

I mean... I'm left breathless after reading these verses. Absolutely dumbfounded. God is amazing. AMAZING, not a shriveled pancake! He deserves our most earnest, most fervent, most humblest prayers, and if we're giving him anything less, than we're stealing. Because all our praise is rightfully His. We were created for His glory, for Pete's sake! What are we doing sneaking our way around the universe occasionally whispering "Jesus loves you", but never making a real impact??? THIS IS A JOYOUS THING WORTHY OF CELEBRATION WITH OREOS AND PANDAS AND BUBBLE TEA OKAY?! Don't be afraid to make a stand for who you are IN CHRIST.

Jesus is amazing. He's not just some invisible power that will smash people that do bad things and heal boo-boo's really really fast if you ask. He's not just some nobody that can actually do cool things when you ask Him to.

No, He's actually the God of the Universe and beyond, and that's kinda a big deal. Oh and He's also the best Daddy and Bestie. There's nothing in the world that makes Him smile more brilliantly than when you choose Him over anything else. Even for just a short, "God you're so amazing. Imma keep you." Because every small thanks, praise, acknowledgement counts. You don't have to have a 10 verse prayer like Hannah.

Moral of the story?

Jesus doesn't belong on the shelf, because He wants more than to be occasionally called when we're in need: He wants a relationship with you and me and Johnny. And we can't have an operating relationship if we don't communicate. It just doesn't work that way.

So in the end, my friend and I finished that topic in a passionate "EXACTLY!"

//comment below and tell me your thoughts on this post. :))


(note: as you can see, I wrote this post at 12am so if anything seems kinda.. idk weird? that's why :))

You Might Also Like

11 comments

  1. Wow. Just wow. YOU SPOKE RIGHT TO ME JAZZY. I have to be honest and say that I've been putting Jesus on a shelf lately-and it's way not cool. Thank you for the wake up call! This was beautifully written and SO TRUE.

    By the way, you've got a beautiful blog. New follower. =)

    Micaiah
    www.notebooksandnovels.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm so glad!! Praise the Lord. :)) I know, same. It's so easy to thats why, especially when what your replacing him with is something like school or work or something important... but just not HIM.

      Thank you so so much!!! I love your blog as well <3

      Jazzy

      Delete
  2. GIRL. THIS. WOW. I've never read your blog before, but this is probably like one of the best posts to ever read on a first time visit to a blog xD SO MUCH TRUTH HERE. I've thought about that before too...like...GOD LOVES US. WHAT. We say that so much (i.e. "Jesus loves me" =), but like, do we actually believe it? OUCH.

    Thank you so much for writing this thought-provoking post, Jazzy! Your blog is absolutely lovely.

    -autumn
    autumn's readings + writings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww wow, i'm so glad it challenged you!! Hahaha, like *finds a new blog and gets slapped in the face*

      Welks, and thank YoU! God bless:))

      Jazzy

      Delete
  3. My dad did a sermon on basically this topic a few years ago which he titled "Putting God in a Box", and he opened it by showing a "Jesus action figure" (which still makes me laugh, btw), that had been given to him for myself and my siblings to play with while in his office (along with Esther and Moses and Goliath), but he hadn't allowed us to take it out of the box because we couldn't just "play with Jesus". It impacted me then, and this impacted me now. Beautiful post. *applauds*
    ~ Grace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Grace, that's really cool! That's such an interesting way to develop that mind set in younger people. I'm SO glad God used this to impact you. :)) Thanks for reading!!

      Jazzy

      Delete
  4. Beautiful post, Jazzy! <3 You have a lovely blog. I saw that you followed mine, so I wanted to check yours out. What a great first post to come across on a blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AWwwee thank you Emily Autumn! I love your blog too <3<3

      Jazzy

      Delete
  5. ah huhu, uh, that was like..AHMAZING!!! xD I actually am not boy-crazy and sometimes feel sorry for those who are. They are so obsessed and blinded with thoughts of all the cute boys or movie stars they want who meet, when they should really be growing in their relationship with the LORD!! You wrote this post so well!
    Paige....(a new follower!!!) XDDD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha thank you so much, Paige! I know, it's really sad because then they totally miss out on time to fall head-over-heels in love with the Lord... Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts, I really love your blog:))

      Jazzy

      Delete
    2. xD
      Yeah. :(
      it makes me soooo happy that you love my blog!!! *squeals* yayyy!

      Delete

hai there, fran. be awesome. be nice. eat oreos.

Follow by Email

Press